Waiting for the order to take off. The Luftwaffe pilot makes notes as he sits in front of the aircraft in the warm spring sun. Note the 300-l auxiliary fuel tanks beneath the wings, the rubber mats on the wing walkways and the unit code "L2". This photograph was taken in Russia in the spring of 1942, probably at Stalino airfield. The 7.Staffel (Heer) / Lehrgeschwader 2 (LG 2) had previously been based at Mariupol until February 1942, after which it was transferred to Stalino. In March 1942, 7.(F)/LG 2 was renamed 7.(H)/LG 2. From then on the Gruppe's role was tactical reconnaissance, which had become more important than strategic reconnaissance. The photograph itself depict L2+MR, a Messerschmitt Bf 110 C-5 of 7.(H)/LG 2.
"Luftwaffe im Focus", Spezial No.1 - 2003