These pictures show the, until now unidentified, emblem of IV.Gruppe / Kampfgeschwader 54 (KG 54). Pictures have been seen before, remain unidentified. Also the color of the shield was unknown. As usual within other IV. Gruppen, the base color of the shield was blue. The emblem was probably introduced at establishment of the Gruppe on 1 April 1941. These pictures originate from the time the Gruppe was based at Grottaglie between 1 March 1942 and 29 May 1943. The Gruppe trained new arrivals before they joined the other Gruppen. IV./KG 54 also flew patrols and convoy ptotection flights in the Mediterranean.
"Luftwaffe im Focus" magazine - Edition No.1 (2002)