Frontal view of L2+MR, a Messerschmitt Bf 110 C-5 of 7.(H)/LG 2, which is finished in the standard three-grays camouflage. Note the staffel emblem. This photo demonstrates without a doubt that the "Teufelskopf" (Devil's Head) was brown and black, not gray and black as has been asserted in the past. Note the caps over the muzzles of the MG 17 machine-guns. The spinner tips and the aircraft letter "M", which may be seen on the right under the auxiliary fuel tank, are in the Staffel color white. This photograph itself was taken in Russia in the spring of 1942, probably at Stalino airfield. The 7.Staffel (Heer) / Lehrgeschwader 2 (LG 2) had previously been based at Mariupol until February 1942, after which it was transferred to Stalino. In March 1942, 7.(F)/LG 2 was renamed 7.(H)/LG 2. From then on the Gruppe's role was tactical reconnaissance, which had become more important than strategic reconnaissance.
"Luftwaffe im Focus", Spezial No.1 - 2003