In a staged photograph, two III Corps MPs guard a pontoon bridge over the Rhine, connected Kripp to Linz (Germany), in 11-12 March 1945. Both men wear the cotton M1943 field jacket with wool shirt and trousers. They are also wearing two-buckle combat boots. Both men have white MP designation painted on their helmets. The MPs are both armed with .30 calibre carbines and carry extra magazines in a pouch attached to the right of their pistol belts. The flag on the right, and the shield at their feet, are the designation for the III Corps. The III Corps was part of the US Third Army from October 1944 to February 1945 and again at the end of the war.
Book "Patton's Third Army" by Christopher J. Anderson