The order to takeoff has been received. The aircraft takes off and flies low over the men on the ground. This photograph was taken in Russia in the spring of 1942, probably at Stalino airfield. The 7.Staffel (Heer) / Lehrgeschwader 2 (LG 2) had previously been based at Mariupol until February 1942, after which it was transferred to Stalino. In March 1942, 7.(F)/LG 2 was renamed 7.(H)/LG 2. From then on the Gruppe's role was tactical reconnaissance, which had become more important than strategic reconnaissance. The photograph itself depict L2+MR, a Messerschmitt Bf 110 C-5 of 7.(H)/LG 2.
"Luftwaffe im Focus", Spezial No.1 - 2003