The German Gotha Go 244, a powered version of the Go 242 glider, was used in limited numbers during the Second World War. The only units to be equipped with the type were the Special Purpose Battle Groups (Kampfgruppen zur besonderen Verwendung, or KGr.z.b.V.) 104 and 106. The two units converted to the Go 244 from the Junkers Ju 52 at Hagenow in the summer of 1942. Conversion training lasted until mid-June. These two photographs, which were taken there in May or June 1942, depict a brand-new machine (NI+FQ) with a large personal emblem beneath the cockpit. It consists of a red wagon with yellow lettering pulled by two horses against a large cloud. Also note the red and white rosette on the fuselage nose. Yellow Eastern Front bands have been painted on the fuselages of the aircraft. Conversion training ended on 22 June, and KGr.z.b.V. 106 returned to Russia. There it operated from Kirovograd, between Kiev and the Crimea. The Gruppe had 37 aircraft at the beginning of August. However, the Go 244 proved a disappointment. On 2 November 1942 the unit returned to Germany and relinquished its aircraft. Noteworthy features of the Go 244 were its tricycle undercarriage and opposite-handed engines, which eliminated the tendency to swing during takeoff.
Magazine "Luftwaffe im Focus", Spezial No.1 - 2003