This pleasing photograph of an overall silver Focke-Wulf Fw 44 J training aircraft, coded CO+CG, was taken in the late summer of 1940. This machine, whose Werknummer was 2396, was from the last Stieglitz production batch and was built by CKD of Prague in July 1940. Heer soldiers standing in the background, the tall grass, and the crewman running back to the machine with a bag, may indicate that the aircraft was involved in maneuvers. The landing area has been marked with flags and the aircraft marshaled into position, which further supports this scenario. Photo by Hauptmann Rolf Schödter.
"Luftwaffe im Focus", Spezial No.1 - 2003